Recent Meeting Details

talk icon

May Meeting: Can-It Advanced Features & Surface Pro 4 linux

Date: May 4, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Location: Algonquin (Woodroffe) P216b

Note: Room change We will be in room P216b for the next few meetings

This month, the main talk will be on some advanced features of the Roaring Penguin Can-It software and a short linux on the surface pro talk

Pre-meeting:

There will be a one hour pre-meeting item from 17:30 to 18:30 for people who are new to Linux, have general questions, or wish to help out with people who are just getting started.

After Meeting Social:

After the meeting, there will be a social event at one of the nearby pubs or restaurants. A short discussion and vote as to location will be taken then.

GPG Keysigning:

After the main talk and possibly the BoF, there will be the opportunity for a GPG key signing. This is a monthly offering, just look for Scott after the talk and we can go from there. Bring some kind of photo ID and some keyslips if you expect people to sign your key.If you need some method of creating pages of keyslips, there is an online slip generator available.

Canning SPAM

Advanced features of Roaring Penguin's CanIt anti-spam software

Speaker: Dianne Skoll

This talk will briefly describe some of the advanced features of Roaring Penguin's CanIt anti-spam software followed by an in-depth discussion of the architecture of the Hosted CanIt system, which filters mail for approximately 160,000 users. Dianne will discuss tips and tricks for scaling a Linux-based mail-filtering system to that level of capacity.


linux on the surface

Beneath the Surface

Speaker: Scott Murphy

A short talk on my experiences with installing Linux on a Surface Pro 4

Spoiler: It is a pretty nice platform



talk icon

April Meeting: AGM, Static Sites revisited and filesystem discussion

Date: April 6, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Location: Algonquin (Woodroffe) P213a

This is our AGM and election of board members. At this point, we have enough candidates for an election, however we still have to go through the announcement of the slate to the membership and accept any nominations from the floor. Further details follow.

Following the AGM, we will have a talk on Static sites from Scott and a follow-up talk on filesystem frustrations from John.

Pre-meeting:

There will be a one hour pre-meeting item from 17:30 to 18:30 for people who are new to Linux, have general questions, or wish to help out with people who are just getting started.

After Meeting Social:

After the meeting, there will be a social event at one of the nearby pubs or restaurants. A short discussion and vote as to location will be taken then.

GPG Keysigning:

After the main talk and possibly the BoF, there will be the opportunity for a GPG key signing. This is a monthly offering, just look for Scott after the talk and we can go from there. Bring some kind of photo ID and some keyslips if you expect people to sign your key.If you need some method of creating pages of keyslips, there is an online slip generator available.

oclug-agm

2017 AGM

Speaker: Scott Murphy

This is our AGM and election of board members.

We will have our election of officers at the meeting. As of this point, we have the following people on the slate:

  • Bruce Davis
  • Ian Gorman
  • Kelly Kendrick
  • Scott Murphy
  • John Nash

Based on the current rules regarding the board, four is the minimum, six is the maximum. We prefer to have more than the minimum in case of circumstances requiring an existing member to step down.

In addition, according to the bylaws of the non-profit corporation, we require at least 20 people to be present, either in person or via proxy. We will have a sign-up sheet for the election and will require all present to sign in order to prove the election was held in compliance with the bylaws.

Proxies can be registered by sending an email to the board email address (board dash members at oclug.on.ca) prior to 17:00 on Wednesday, April 6th so that we have a record prior to the election.

The format will be:

  • Short announcement from the President
  • Short financial update from the Treasurer
  • Board elections if necessary

Static Electricity Image

Static Site Generation (revisited)

Speaker: Scott Murphy

This is a revised and expanded talk based on the talk given about 2 years ago. It seems that static sites are the new hotness and all that was old is new again.


Backup Tape Image

File Systems

Speaker: John C. Nash

John will be discussing his experiences with file system formats and his decision as to what he has settled on for his multi-platform backups at home and the reson he went with his final choice.



talk icon

March Meeting: DTMF Generator on Rotary Phone & OS Agnostic Computing

Date: March 2, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Location: Algonquin (Woodroffe) P213a

This month we will be having a talk on on making a rotary phone useful in a tone driven world and a discussion on os-agnostic computing.

Pre-meeting:

There will be a one hour pre-meeting item from 18:00 to 19:00 for people who are new to Linux, have general questions, or wish to help out with people who are just getting started.

After Meeting Social:

After the meeting, there will be a social event at one of the nearby pubs or restaurants. A short discussion and vote as to location will be taken then.

GPG Keysigning:

After the main talk there will be the opportunity for a GPG key signing. This is a monthly offering, just look for Scott after the talk and we can go from there. Bring some kind of photo ID and some keyslips if you expect people to sign your key.If you need some method of creating pages of keyslips, there is an online slip generator available.

Rotary Phone

DTMF generation on a rotary phone

Speaker: Scott Murphy

This talk is based on a recent desire to put an old rotary phone in my guest room. This is part of a larger project, but first the phone.

Some simple electronics for those interested and an ATTINY45 chip to be the dialer.


Operating System tag cloud

OS Agnostic Computing

Speaker: Ian Gorman

Many of us have strong preferences for particular operating systems. However, much of the work we do does not require any particular operating system, and some of us have to work with more than one operating system, or with several systems at once. This short presentation will cover cross-platform portability for data and applications. It will be followed by a discussion about what should be covered in a more detailed second presentation about OS-agnostic computing.



talk icon

February Meeting: Deep Neural Networks & GalliumOS on a Chromebook

Date: February 2, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Location: Algonquin (Woodroffe) P213a

Note - Room Change We will be meeting in Building P, room P-213a at 7:00pm

This month we will be having a talk on on deep neural networks and a lightning talk on GalliumOS on a chromebook.

Pre-meeting:

There will be a one hour pre-meeting item from 18:00 to 19:00 for people who are new to Linux, have general questions, or wish to help out with people who are just getting started.

After Meeting Social:

After the meeting, there will be a social event at one of the nearby pubs or restaurants. A short discussion and vote as to location will be taken then.

GPG Keysigning:

After the main talk there will be the opportunity for a GPG key signing. This is a monthly offering, just look for Scott after the talk and we can go from there. Bring some kind of photo ID and some keyslips if you expect people to sign your key.If you need some method of creating pages of keyslips, there is an online slip generator available.

Deep Neural Network

Deep Neural Networks

Speaker: Isaac Tamblyn

In this presentation, Isaac will discuss recent work in group group focused on using deep neural networks to solve problems in physics. He will discuss some of the hardware and software choices they had to make to build our solution, and show results on the performance of their models.


GalliumOS

GalliumOS on a Chromebook

Speaker: Jean-Francois Messier

JF will be giving a "Lightning Talk" on the install of Linux (Gallium 2)on his ChromeBook



talk icon

January Meeting: Speech Synthesis & Linux on the Surface

Date: January 5, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Location: Dymon Storage Boardroom, 110 Didsbury Road

Note - Room Change We will be meeting at Dymon Storage in Kanata, at 7:00pm

This month we will be having a talk on speech synthesis and running ubuntu on the Microsoft Surfacepossible an additional topic if someone volunteers.

Pre-meeting:

There will be a one hour pre-meeting item from 18:00 to 19:00 for people who are new to Linux, have general questions, or wish to help out with people who are just getting started.

After Meeting Social:

After the meeting, there will be a social event at one of the nearby pubs or restaurants. A short discussion and vote as to location will be taken then.

GPG Keysigning:

After the main talk there will be the opportunity for a GPG key signing. This is a monthly offering, just look for Scott after the talk and we can go from there. Bring some kind of photo ID and some keyslips if you expect people to sign your key.If you need some method of creating pages of keyslips, there is an online slip generator available.

Speech Synthesis with Festival Lite

Speaker: Scott Murphy

What is a speech synthesizer, some history, what would I use one for, and have they improved since "War Games?"


Linux on a MS Surface

Speaker: Ian Gorman

Interested in playing with a Surface? Perhaps you do not need to run Windows after all. Ian will go over using Ubuntu on a MS Surface device.



Past Meetings

2017 May Meeting Can-It Advanced Features & Surface Pro 4 linux
2017 April Meeting AGM, Static Sites revisited and filesystem discussion
2017 March Meeting DTMF Generator on Rotary Phone & OS Agnostic Computing
2017 February Meeting Deep Neural Networks & GalliumOS on a Chromebook
2017 January Meeting Speech Synthesis & Linux on the Surface
2016 December Meeting PDF data extraction & What do we use Linux for?
2016 November Meeting Tiny Clusters & Portable Toolkits
2016 October Meeting Ransomware
2016 September Meeting Cancelled
2016 August Meeting Overview of Intellectual Property Issues in Open-Source Software, ongoing projects update
2016 July Meeting LITW 2016
2016 July Meeting Rescheduled: Block box testing and short dashing presentation
2016 June Meeting Block box testing and short dashing presentation
2016 May Meeting Presentation frustrations and Block box testing
2016 April Meeting AGM, IPv6 talk, Presentation issues and maybe more
2016 March Meeting (Updated) Scanning Woes, Pandoc bugs, Let's Encrypt
2016 February Meeting Libreoffice and more
2016 January Meeting Ansible talk
2015 December Meeting Distro Talk 2015
2015 November Meeting Malware Reverse Engineering
<< later [1 of 8] earlier >>


Roaring Penguin SoftwareSite hosted by Richard Guy Briggs using Bullfrog PowerSite created by Generic Consulting