[oclug] Where to Buy a Linux Notebook?

Jean-Francois Messier jf at messier.ca
Fri Sep 25 15:52:08 EDT 2009

(I keep forgetting that the mailer only takes plain ASCII, not HTML)

I hope you don't have to pay for it. As well, you should not have to pay
to get Ubuntu installed on it. The only thing is that the EeePC does not
come with a CDROM reader, and not everyone has an external USB-based
CDROM drive. The other way is to use unetbootin with the downloaded ISO
file of Ubuntu. Make an SD card bootable, and when you turn the EeePC
ON, press Escape, so it shows the different medias you can boot from.
Select the card, in the built-in card reader, and here you go. It's even
faster than installing from a CD.

Unfortunately, I was told recently that all notebooks are sold with
Windows, and that Microsoft is "giving it away", or like charging $5 per
install. That's still TOO MUCH. I did not pay a single penny to
Micro$oft in the last three years, and I will never pay them any more
money.

JF

http://www.franconerd.com
http://www.messier.ca