[oclug] Where to Buy a Linux Notebook?

Piotr R. Sidorowicz prsidoro at mavericsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 18 20:33:26 EDT 2009

Six weeks ago I bought a Dell Inspiron Mini10 with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
pre-installed on it. Purchased it on-line (dell.ca). It works very
nicely. All hardware is recognized. I did install 9.04 Ubuntu netbook
remix later for some more up-to-date packages and everything still works
like a charm. Dell's Ubuntu is not "plain vanilla" Ubuntu; they did add
a Yahoo toolbar, and a "legal" DVD player (pointless as this machine
does not have a DVD drive.) that I promptly un-installed. I did go for
the optional wireless N card instead of the default G, and for the
Bluetooth module.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was a dual core
Atom processor. The keyboard is superb for its size.
I can comfortably recommend this unit.

Piotr.