[oclug] SWAP in virtual machines

Gilles J. Seguin segg2 at videotron.ca
Wed Oct 7 12:17:47 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 13:45 -0400, Mike wrote:

> The question is about SWAP  I'm installing an image now and it is creating
> 1.5gb swap space in the virtual machine, on top of the 2gb swap that is on
> the host to start with.

One thing that i found curious is that we rarely see comment about
crazy SWAP used space that is over maximum addressable space.

Since Operating System reserve by default about 1GB, that can not be
swap out.
3GB is remaining/available by the swap mechanism.
For addressable space(32-bits), you have attempting more than that 3GB.

Next, price on memory is such that we have for many of us filled
the real memory. That is, the real addressable space (4GB) is full.
The swap mechanism can not be used.

That is, swap monitoring tools should display zero byte used.