[oclug] Two Problems
The Linux Doctor
linuxdoctor at leitersolutions.com
Thu Apr 9 11:24:26 EDT 2009
It's been a long time since I've posted. I've been quite busy these
past few years.
Anyway, I've got two issues that I'd like to see if I can get resolved,
one minor and the other major.
First off, the major problem.
I've got this Trendnet TDM-C400 ADSL2+ modem that is just a piece of
crap. I need to have reliable 24/7 uptime but the unit just
crashes every few days complaining the that it has run out of
memory. I've been working with Trendnet on the problem but it seems
that they have sub-contracted out the firmware for the thing. A number
of other manufacturers use the same firmware too.
It's been about three months now and no resolution to the problem. In
fact I have received nothing but silence from Trendnet for the last
month. Time to move on so I'm going to purchase another modem from a
different manufacturer, specifically the SpeedTouch 516 v6 ADSL2+
Ethernet Modem. If you guys have any comments about that unit please
let me know, hopefully before I buy it.
Now, I don't want to junk my old unit so what I'd like to do with the
Trendnet is to experiment with it. What I would prefer is to be able to
get some Open Source firmware onto the thing that will restore the
unit to usefulness. Anybody know of some project out there targeted to
this unit specifically or in general.
Now for the minor problem.
One bug-boo (is that a word?) that has been a long standing irritant
for me is printers. Whether a printer works properly under Linux seems
to be a matter of the hardware. For instance, I have an HP LaserJet
1100A and the standard Foomatic/hpijs driver under cups works just
fine on my old Compaq D51C Pentium 4 class machine. However, when I
switch it to my AMD Athlon 64 class machine on a PC-clone type
motherboard, with the same operating system (Fedora 9), the same
version of CUPS and the same hpijs driver the printer keeps getting
over runs. It is almost as if the hardware does not have proper flow
control or is ignoring it. Now matter what I try to change the driver
settings at boot time it continues to overflow.
I'm wondering if any of you guys know of a solution. For the moment I
have the printer attached to the Compaq but that unit will soon go out
the door. I would like to have some solution before that happens. This
has been a long standing problem for me going back almost to the
beginning of my Linux usage. Once upon a time I did have a solution
but I have since forgotten what it was. :(
Anyway, hopefully one of you may know what that is.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://oclug.on.ca/pipermail/oclug/attachments/20090409/4afb2122/signature.pgp
More information about the OCLUG