[oclug] Low power consumption pc project

James Lockie bjlockie at lockie.ca
Tue Jan 29 09:33:40 EST 2008

OddSox wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Rob Young wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I was wondering what thoughts were on this, I'd be really
>> interested to hear if anyone else has attempted something like this.
>>

> When I read this the first thing I thought of was the webserver that's
> built into a chip on virtually every home router (and printer) out
> there - usually updateable by 'flashing' the 'firmware'. A quick
> search turned up:
> <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CGN/is_3728/ai_55508324>.
> That was in 1999 so they've probably made some progress since then...

I work with some who builds nomads.
I think are a PBX for VOIP phones.
I don't understand that part of the business.
It uses open source asterix software and Debian.
The new ones don't have a hard drive and use compact flash.

I don't know how much data a webserver writes but I know one concern is
that USB/flash memory doesn't last as long as a hard drive.
Linux Live USB gets around that so I know there are work-a-rounds.