[oclug] Help Needed!!

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:10:34 EDT 2008

Jon Earle wrote:

> Just a note: I fought just as much with this box when I installed Linux on it
> a few years ago.  Never again will I buy a PC with a nVidia chipset or a
> Promise controller.  One-off junk, IMO, that works poorly with any OS.

I'm amazed to hear you write that. I was delighted to find that my Ubuntu can
run nicely on my other computer and use the NVidia video to run even a
"widescreen" monitor. I had resolved that for the next computer I buy, I would
also get an NVidia video system, to "support" them back for supporting Linux,
and to make sure I could run Linux on it.

Was I wrong?

What brands do people prefer for Linux?

I want my next computer to be able to play full-HD movies through an HDMI cable
with mplayer to a widescreen TV :-)

--
Andy