[oclug] Desktop size doesn't match monitor resolution

Aaron Wilcox aaron.wilcox at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 4 19:11:54 EDT 2007

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:17:42 -0400, Stephen Gregory <oclug at kernelpanic.ca>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 08:02:13AM -0400, Brad Barnett wrote:
>>
>> KDE may be displaying wrong values.
>
> the command:
>
> $ xdpyinfo |grep dim
>
> will display the dimensions that the X server is running at bypassing
> KDE.

aaron at osiris:~> xdpyinfo | grep dim
   dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (520x321 millimeters)
aaron at osiris:~>

SaX2 indicates that my display resolution is set to 1920x1200, which is
what the monitor thinks it's displaying.  I took a look at the X.org
configuration files, and there are two of them that seem to be updated
every time i fiddle around with stuff in SaX2.  One is
"/etc/X11/xorg.conf", the other is "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.saxsave".  The only
major differences between the two are in the "Modes" and "Screen"
sections.  "xorg.conf.saxsave" has had all the modelines and screen
settings with resolutions higher than 1680x1050 deleted.  I presume X11 is
use "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.saxsave" to set the desktop resolution, would it
be OK to overwrite it with a copy of the other one?

--
Aaron Wilcox
aaron dot wilcox (at) sympatico dot ca