[oclug] OCLUG meeting: 7 Aug 2007

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Aug 7 22:28:29 EDT 2007

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

I refer to http://oclug.on.ca/archives/oclug/2005-September/047592.html

Tonight's meeting could have been great.  Prof. Nash is a good speaker
with lots of interesting things to say.  And he's genial and
good-natured.

Unfortunately, again, a bunch of loud-mouthed know-it-alls had to display
their knowledge, pontificate, and edify.  Once again, the speaker
kept getting derailed by idiots who love the sound of their own
voices (mostly, I might add, the exact same idiots as in my 2005 HOWTO.)

To his credit, John Nash was pretty good at getting things back on track,
but still: I don't think OCLUG speakers or audiences should have to put
up with this crap.

I attend OCLUG meetings infrequently.  I won't be attending again
until OCLUG adopts a policy along the lines of: "Unless a speaker
EXPLICITLY indicates his/her willingness to allow questions during the
talk, all questions, comments and interruptions shall be deferred to
the end of the talk.  Violators will be warned on the first violation
and thrown out on the second.  Even if a speaker explicitly allows
questions during the talk, the questions must be short, to the point,
and not a platform for talking about irrelevant things."

If you really cannot respect a speaker enough to SHUT UP during his talk,
please stay away.

--
David.