$HOME vs $Home was: WARNING TO CROOMBE, READ THIS IMMEDIATELY !!! Re: [oclug] Strange Fedora problem

BB brianjbarber at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:22:23 EDT 2006

Logged in as root means that "ls -al $Home" will print the contents of
/root - bash is ignoring $Home - since the shell puts you into the
logged-in users home directory (according to the contents of the $HOME
environment variable).  "ls -al $HOME/" will also print the contents
of /root.  As root, "ls -al $Home/" will print the contents of /.  I
know that I'm just piling on here, but I hope that this brings some
clarity.

Cheers,
BB