[oclug] yet another ISP thread

Andy Civil andycivil at hotpop.com
Wed Aug 2 23:23:35 EDT 2006

Jason Morin wrote:

> Are there solid alternatives with the locals that can offer 5 Mb+, DSL with
> static all for $50 or so.  I guess my connection has just
> gone up by $7 according to Rogers so anything in and around $60 would be
> cool.

How cast-in-stone is that 5Mb+ requirement? Most ISP's are limited at
3Mb, and by asking for 5Mb you're restricting your choice rather a lot.
With a phone-based service, you may not even get that, depending on how
far you are from your exchange (central office). Looking at the list,
http://www.canadianisp.com/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?ispid=169&sp=ON&serv_type=dsl&busper=res&maxprc=&city=Ottawa&SUBMIT=showdetail
compu-solve looks like the best option, and yet, they're one of the few
ISP's that *doesn't* allow you to run servers... that doesn't bode well
for the kind of flexibility a Linux user needs :-(