[oclug] POTS -> SIP providers in Canada?

Howard Krakower howardk at zed.net
Tue Apr 26 11:33:29 EDT 2005

Just to add a comment about VoIP - I have it (Vonage) and use it quite
a bit. One of my friends recently moved to Texas and only subscribed
to Comcast cable (CATV and broadband internet). He is using Vonage as
his sole telephone. We have found that when traffic builds, there is
one router in the chain that starts dropping packets - this is
somewhere down in California. When that occurs, his voice starts to
get choppy and, in several cases, the connection had been dropped.
We've done a trace (using Ping Plotter) and it is always the same
switch that fails somewhere in the deep south.

Howard.

--
ZedNet Technologies
visit us at http://www.zed.net