[oclug] Job: Sales Engineer at Roaring Penguin
David F. Skoll
dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 23 10:13:44 EDT 2004
We're looking for a sales engineer to help us sell our CanIt and CanIt-PRO
products. I've appended the job description to this e-mail. The
job will probably involve a fair bit of travel.
If you're interested, please send a brief letter and your resume via
e-mail to "jobs at roaringpenguin.com". The resume must be in one of
plain-text, HTML or PDF format. MS-Word and OpenOffice attachments
will guarantee that your resume will be at the bottom of the list.
Please do not post followups to the OCLUG list; I will probably
not see them.
Sales Engineer Job Description:
You will provide technical support to the sales team, customers and
potential customers. In particular, you will:
- Participate in conference calls and meetings between the sales team
and potential customers. You will be the key technical person in sales
- Assist potential customers with product evaluations. You will guide
them through product installation and help them to understand the
features of the product. You will assist with configuration issues
to make the evaluation process as smooth as possible.
- Offer technical support to existing and potential customers via
telephone and e-mail.
- Provide feedback to sales and technical team as to customer reaction to
the software, desired features, and desired changes.
In addition to strong technical skills, you should have excellent
communication and social skills. You will be interacting with customers
and the sales team on a daily basis, so must have a pleasant and helpful
- You should be proficient in Perl and PHP programming. Experience with
an SQL database is required, and with PostgreSQL in particular highly
desirable. Experience with tools like Apache, CVS and MIMEDefang is
- You should be very comfortable working in a UNIX or Linux environment.
You must be able to configure and troubleshoot systems using command-line
tools, since much interaction with customer systems is done remotely via SSH.
- You should be comfortable with Sendmail configuration and tuning.
- You must be friendly, helpful and patient. You should be able to speak
articulately and write well. Bilingualism (or multi-lingualism) is an asset.
- You must be comfortable working with many different customers with different
skill levels. You'll be multitasking a lot, so should be comfortable
switching tasks several times a day as you deal with customers.
- You must be able to speak in technical terms to technical people, but must
also be able to explain complex technical issues in simple, non-technical
language to non-technical people.
More information about the OCLUG