[oclug] Annoying Nigerian Scammer using keyservers to harvest e-mail addresses

Raj oclug at raj.homelinux.com
Fri Apr 2 11:43:41 EST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Raj wrote:
>
> > so... get used to it.  and install SpamAssassin or dSpam or whatever :)
> > cheers!
>
> Bad advice. Or at least incomplete advice. We can't just accept spam, and
> then send it to /dev/null. If that were all we did, spammers will continue
> to waste huge amounts of the bandwidth which we are paying for.
>
> We must support the efforts of those working to catch and prosecute
> spammers, to throw spammers off networks as soon as they are found, and to
> deny SMTP access to spammers as soon as possible (RBLs). And it's in our
> interest to improve our SMTP servers so that they drop connections from
> spammers as soon as possible.
>
> And we should rid our networks of virus replicators.
>
> Spam filtering after the fact is not the (whole) answer.
>
> ---
> Charlie

good advise Charlie, and obviously from someone not as lazy as me :)
Having tried to submit abuse reports, rbl reports and create dynamic
blacklists, I finally gave up.  Most addresses that mail comes from are
fake, most IPs variable, most ISPs unresponsive and most dynamic
blacklists mostly useless 'cos the senders and IPs keep changing.
However, it doesn't hurt to keep trying.  For me, SpamAssassin with
Bayesian catches about 99% of spam, haven't had a false-positive yet, so
I'm happy.  And lazy.
cheers!
--Raj.