[oclug] Good Point
jearle at kronos.honk.org
Thu Mar 22 16:15:57 EST 2001
At 02:40 PM 03/22/01, you wrote:
>from the community not from the commercial industry. What what other
>things make you stick with win32. I am not out on a mission to change the
>desktop, frankly I feel you should use what ever makes you happy. I just
>want to hear from some one who has tried both and stick win32, why?
Okay, let's see what in my programs folder which I'd miss if I gave up my
evil ways and went Linux-only:
- No full-featured email client to rival Eudora (or Outlook, Calypso, etc.
as other examples)
- No full-featured newsreader to rival Agent (or newsXpress, etc.)
- Nothing to really come close to CD creating software such as Easy CD
- Visio equivalent? Likely difficult since it's owned by MS.
- Tax prep software (forms acceptable by CCRA)?
Aside from sound, which I have great trouble getting running at all under
Linux (older Soundscape Elite card which I can't replace 'cause all my PCI
slots are full) but which works perfectly in full duplex mode under
Windows, and that my mouse wheel doesn't work as a wheel (works as a 3rd
button), that covers the main stuff. Other little things like instant
messaging, search wrappers like Copernicus, archive management, etc are
nice, but could be given up.
I'd also have to investigate what, if anything, would play Quicktime, mpg,
avi, etc media files, VCDs, and locate flight planning software for Linux.
There's a bunch.
Fighting a holy war is like killing each other over who has the better
More information about the OCLUG