HTML Email - was [oclug] Stormix troubles...

Francis Pinteric linuxdoctor at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 09:20:03 EST 2001

--- Shad Young <shad at quotationlocation.com> wrote:

> Please, give me a break.  Many of us who use HTML conform to the
> standards. Again
> these are some increadibly weak arguments. All I am hearing from
> you lot is a
> bunch of ol' time elitist snobbery. Hail the good ol days, Unix is
> alive and
> well!

Elitist snobbery? Surely not from me! Heaven forfend!!! I'm never a
snob, well hardly ever.

My own stand on HTML is that I don't like because it is, as a
language, very verbose, extremely limited, not very flexible, and as
a markup language very unweildy. Personally, when they called it a
markup language it was misnamed. Perhaps the ML really stands for
'marvellously lame.'

Give me *roff anyday. Now that is a powerful markup language. I don't
see why it can't be extended to include some of the things required
for web.

My love of the *roff series has nothing to do with nostralgia, and
everything to do with the fact that it is infinitely better than all
the *ML's out there right now. I remember the first time I saw HTML.
My very thought was "why didn't they just use troff?" The answer is
very simple: the inventors were probably never exposed to Unix and/or
they had somehow forgotten it. More likely, they couldn't use it
because then they couldn't make money from it.

>>>--fja->

=====
"However dazzling and dauting (the technologist's) display
of worldly wisdom, their true inspiration lies elsewhere,
in an enduring, otherworldly quest for transcendence and
salvation" - David F. Noble, "The Religion of Technology"