[oclug] Doug Miller

Matt Rose mattrose at folkwolf.net
Mon Feb 5 20:28:18 EST 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Francis Pinteric wrote:

> --- "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
>
> > Did some searching on Google.  Turns out that Microsoft has paid
> > Miller
> > off to redirect his FUD.  Miller used to be CEO of Softway Systems,
> > the
> > people who made Interix (the weird UNIX-on-NT) system.

[deletia]

> I seemed also to have upset some the Sys Admins at the group as well
> since they had long sold out to the enemy by simply living with
> Microsoft and not finding a way to convince management that Unix IS
> the way to go.
>
> I remember comparing them to the Vichy colaborators with the Nazis
> during the Second World war. They were not amused. I on the other
> hand was quite amused, since they obviously took themselves too
> seriously and I don't take myself seriously at all.

	Using extreme willpower to refrain from breaking into a long
series of colorful epithets.

	This is truly, and horribly offensive.  Francis, with all due
respect to your drive, and single-mindedness, get some perspective!
These are Computers we're talking about here, the idea of comparing
Systems Administrators to Vichy collaborators is not only the vilest form
of reductio-ad-absurdum, but it's just plain offensive. Nobody ever
suffered and died because of my choice of OS, Microsoft doesn't round up
all the Linux people and put them in death camps. Let's get this straight.
Microsoft has committed some crimes, but to compare them to Nazis is just
stupid[2].  I should invoke Godwin's Law here, but this thread just got
started.

Again, it is just a computer.  Life and death does not hinge on Free
Software.  Sure, my corner of the world would be a lot easier if all
software was free, but I don't mind paying for software, and not having
access to the source code, if the software does what I want it to.  I
don't see a problem with this.  If another programmer wants to give his
software away, that's great!  If he wants to charge me for his time and
effort, than I'm ok with that too.  I hope you're not serious about all
the various screeds you've written on this foru, because I would be
seriously worried about your tunnel vision otherwise...

Say it again with me kids.  A computer is just a tool.  It is not a
political movement, it's not a religion, it is a tool.

A couple of notes to this off-color rant that is probably more
offensive than the original post.

1.  Despite all evidence to the contrary, I am myself, somewhat of an
anti-capitalist free software zealot.  RMS's views make sense.  Not
something I can always implement in a practical sense, but I always
figure, rather me than MCSE wielding NT zealot

2.  If you haven't already figured it out, I don't like being compared to
a Nazi sympathizer.  Every time you make a comparison of something silly,
like choice of operating system, to the horrifying atrocities committed by
the Nazis, you make that seem less and less awful.  Unless we're talking
about the death of almost an entire race of people, DON'T bring Nazis into
it.

Matt Rose        mattrose at folkwolf.net          http://www.folkwolf.net
"This an experiment in collective action, and commmunity -- not a choose
your own adventure." rusty of http://www.kuro5hin.org